Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Far better thing we do

 


"Cruelty cannot stop the earth’s heart from beating" Evelyn Coleman


I do not make it a habit of pontificating from this column. Life is tough and divisive enough; I really want this space to be an oasis of safety and calm. I want it to be a ray of sunshine when things are gloomy, or a drop of oil when life gets squeaky. Anyone who reads my column can probably figure which way I lean in terms of politics and religion, although if we sat down and chatted over a cup of coffee or tea, I suspect there would be some surprises to be had on both fronts. 

I began writing these little “faith and value” columns in 2007 when the editor of the Madera Tribune (in California) asked me if I wouldn’t do something like that for his readers. I’d never had trouble expressing my faith and perspective to the folks in the churches I’d served, but I wasn’t sure how to approach the task of speaking to a wider, more diverse audience. I'm thankful that Suzanne and the Madisonian have allowed me to continue sharing these thoughts here.

I was (and am) an evangelical at heart, by which I mean one who shares good news. I am saddened by those who use the term evangelical to sell their religion or God. The heart of the Good News (as I see it) is this: God loves. Period. Full stop.

God loves creation; creation is diverse; God loves diversity. God loves humanity; God loves you (and me) in all our diversity and weirdness. Why? Because God loves. Period. Full stop.

My goal for these past seventeen years of writing columns on a weekly or biweekly basis has been to share some of the silly things I see and experience in life. They’re generally situations that teach me something about God and/or our lives together. 

I have a somewhat offbeat sense of humor that can be grating for some. I had one parishioner who particularly objected to either the sound of my voice or the content of my preaching – and yes, it bothered me, but do you know what? God loves her, just as God loves me. We are both part of that whacky family God put on earth to take care of one another, so we did, and we do.

So I share my thoughts and insights as best I can, keeping them relatively general, but applicable for the most part. One may find themselves changing their mind about something every now and then, but my goal isn’t to change minds, but to invite folks to join me as I turn over some of the rocks I stumble over, and explore, with fascination, some of the wildlife we see scurrying out from under those dark and damp places.

If there is a change I would like to see in the world, it isn’t for everyone to look, act, feel, and think like me, but for folks to simply be a little kinder and gentler when dealing with one another. None of us knows what another person is going through, so why not extend them a bit of grace, even if they’re behavior is weird?

The one place I do draw the line is with rudeness or cruelty. One can be having a terrible, no good, horrible day and still dance to the tune of their better angels. 

Abuse is a choice. Rude is a choice. Violence is a choice. Lying is a choice. Stealing is a choice. So are their counterparts. Compassion is a choice. Politeness is a choice. Peace is a choice. Truth-telling is a choice. Honesty is a choice.

Very few of us will ever have to make the ultimate sacrifice for things we truly believe in, but sometimes it is enough to just do the little things that make a difference for the world around us. Those little things add up. While I’m not in any hurry to get there, I want to go to my grave with that wonderful line from Charles Dickens: “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known.”

The far better thing for me is love; God’s love. Peace; God’s peace. Kindness; God’s kindness. I truly thank you for joining me as we continue this journey together here in this, our valley.

Keith Axberg writes on matters concerning life and faith. Author of: Who the Blazes is Jesus? Good News for a Vulgar World (available through Amazon in Print and e-book)


No comments:

Post a Comment