Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Fence-Line- A Parable

A few weeks back the wind blew so hard in our neighborhood it blew the fence down between us and our neighbor to the south. We looked at it and decided to rebuild it in the Spring when the weather improves. We haven't discussed costs or other options (hiring it out, e.g.), but the episode got me thinking - or "daydreaming" to be more accurate.

I thought about replacing the six foot privacy fence with one just like it, but realized my neighbor has an eight foot step ladder. What kind of privacy would a replacement fence give me? So I considered building a twenty foot fence, but realized my neighbor also owns a twenty-four foot extension ladder. There's not enough privacy to be had with a twenty foot tall fence! So I decided to build a thirty foot fence, just like The Donald wants!

Now the sun no longer reaches my yard; the plants have died; the grass has turned brown. Even the mushrooms and toadstools have gone flaccid. I have my privacy, but I have it in darkness.

1 comment:

  1. Let there be light! (And enlightenment!) Thanks for showing us this. I didn't know you had a blog, Keith. Add me to your followers! Ennis and the Beekmans miss you. Say Hi to Barb!

    ReplyDelete