Thursday, January 24, 2019

Every Song Once Was New



I want time to sit and read, take a nap and snack. Basically, I want to be in kindergarten. Anon.

I woke up this morning and found myself stumbling around the bedroom like as if I was coming off a bit of a bender – I wasn’t.

I wasn’t dizzy (although I do have blond genes), and I wasn’t groggy from sleep or struggling to wake up. I was fully awake as I clambered out of bed, but as I made my way to the wash room I found my equilibrium was anything but equilibriating!

That happens every so often. The body wakes up but the inner ear stays in bed and – voila – we find ourselves schlepping off into the world like Godzilla through Tokyo. It’s not a pretty sight (although it can be downright comical).

Fortunately, our house is small enough I can cruise along using walls, furniture, and countertops like any self-respecting toddler my age, and so life is as safe and sane as I make it (for whatever that’s worth).

That seems to be the way 2019 has started off for me. It isn’t a bad year (yet); I don’t expect to see it improve or get worse as it progresses, and yet it just seems a bit “off” to my sensor array.

For instance, it is January, but we haven’t had any snow come down in our corner of the world. That’s not a bad thing (being snow-averse, as I am), and yet I know the lack of snow will have an impact on the forests all around us. I fear for what it will mean when fire season returns. I can’t do anything about that, so I don’t fret; I simply plan to be careful when out and about. I will make every effort to minimize sparks wherever I go.

Actually, that sounds like good advice for life. We should all go through life minimizing the sparks we fling off here there and everywhere. In the Saint Francis prayer, we ask God to make us instruments of peace. That sounds good on the face of it, but then at some point we have to deal with people and situations that bring out that same feeling one gets when fingernails are scratched down those proverbial blackboards (that people have heard of but never use anymore).

White boards. Ugh. What’s the fun in those?

I have fond memories of taking the erasers out after class to pound them along the bricks at Whittier Elementary in Seattle. The cloud of chalk-dust blowing up as those felt blocks whacked into one another, or tumbled onto the asphalt playground outside the Janitor’s entrance. That was life; that was living. There was pride to be had in restoring those erasers to as black as black could be. Black meant they were clean, and that we had done our job. But now-a-days: Blecht!

Now we have color-coded “dry-erase” markers. Erasers are still made of felt, but there’s hardly anything to beat out of them. You bang them together and you might, if you’re lucky, get a little pufflet of a piffle-cloud – totally incapable of causing even a flea to sneeze. What a waste!

But, that’s the world we live in. It is so safe and sane it’s hard to feel a great sense of accomplishment getting to the end of the day alive. Having been bubble-wrapped, there are no bruises to point out; no scars witnessing to the day’s battles.

Well, blackboards are a thing of the past. No doubt when schools introduced them generations ago, teachers grumbled, too, about having to toss out their granite tablets and designer chisels.

But, that’s progress; that’s nothing to grouse about (really). The same goes with being at peace with the world. It is so easy to fight everything that comes around until one realizes the world’s not here to fulfill our every whim. There IS a center to the universe, but I am neither he, nor she, nor it.

All I need to do to be at peace is to realize that fact and, further, to see to it I keep MY fingernails off the chalkboard of life. The less dust I raise, the better off we will all be.

And that’s the way I see it as I stumble ‘round this morning here in this, our valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment