Saturday, January 19, 2019

Political Correctness

I have no idea what that means, really. Language changes with time. When I was growing up, my grandfather was an invalid. He was a cripple. He suffered from a major stroke and was wheelchair bound in the late 1950s until his death in the early 1960s. We don’t use those terms (cripples, invalids) anymore. We’ve moved on to disabled, handicapped, differently abled, mobility challenged, etc. It isn’t because we’re offended by the other terms. Rather, it is because we seek to be kind, compassionate, and thoughtful. 
Some years ago when I moved to California from Michigan, I was speaking to a group of people and used the term “orientals” when speaking of people from the far East. Ironically, I was speaking against racism. I was informed afterwards that the term “oriental” was no longer appropriate. The term de jour was now Asians. I thanked my friend for the insight. I’d missed the memo. I wasn’t offended by the correction. I didn’t think the person an ass-wipe for confronting me. Why? Because he didn’t confront me. He shared some information that would help my relationship with the people I was serving. That allowed me to be kind, compassionate, and thoughtful.
The other day Steve King (for whom I have virtually no respect (politically) anyway) got into trouble for asking what to my ears was a rhetorical question: Why are these words and phrases wrong? Rather than censuring him, or lambasting him, or punishing him for his ignorance, I would think it would have been more helpful for our national dialogue for someone to have spent a few minutes going over the history of those terms. I doubt he would have understood it, but then again, we wouldn’t have had people hiding behind the “Oh look how we’re being persecuted for speaking our mind or asking questions” that so many use to avoid conversation and deflect addressing the issues that divide us.
I have been blocked for expressing my political perspective on Facebook and Tumblr and other venues - by Right Wingers. I have never blocked them or stopped following them because (let’s be honest) they sometimes post some righteous stuff and funny memes. Although we may often view the world differently, I need the Right to help keep me balanced. I have tried walking with one leg tied up. It’s NOT a pretty sight!
So, until someone can help me understand what it really means to be PC, I shall continue to strive to be kind, thoughtful, and compassionate in word and deed. I think that's what Jesus might have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment