Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Songs of Joy

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad indeed … Those who sowed with tears will reap with songs of joy. Psalm 126

My wife and I went out to dinner the other night with some friends. They’d come up to visit from Texas, and as we enjoyed our time together, a few tables away was a young child who was absolutely unhappy with her situation. She was just an infant, so she wasn’t behaving in a bratty or spoiled manner. She was just plain unhappy, and she let the world know about it.

One of the things I love about children is their unfiltered and unfettered capacity to be honest in their expression of pain or joy. It can certainly be disconcerting for their parents when it happens in a restaurant, and I suspect there were patrons closer to “the action” who were disturbed by the incessant yowling that was drowning out the overhead music or the sounds of Thursday Night Football being telecast nearby.

Such is life, and I like it, because it is real. It is such a complete contrast with the saccharine story-lines of so many Christmas specials and Christmas movies. I’m nowhere near as cynical as Jean Shepherd in his holiday classic, A Christmas Story, but I am a realist. The days are short and cold; there are precious few signs of Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards All to be found on the news.

Our visitors received word while with us that one of their church stalwarts down in Texas passed away in the night – having taken a recent turn for the worst in her battle with cancer. Holiday cheer is deflated daily with news of violence at home and abroad. The stock market is careening wildly, blown (as always) by the high pressure winds of Greed trying to hold at bay the low troughs of Fear.

Admittedly, the holiday displays of lights and yard decoration in our neck of the woods seem much more prolific than last year. In fact, I saw my first set of Christmas lights burning brightly on a home near us … the week before Halloween!

It causes me to wonder if the outward appearance of Christmas cheer is genuine, or if it isn’t folks near and far whistling their way through the graveyard – putting on a brave face as their innards jiggle Santa-like in the manner of a bowl-full of jelly. There are people, of course, who absolutely delight in the holidays. The lights and tinsel put them in a festive spirit; images of the Holy Child cavorting with reindeer, snowmen, elves, camels, kings, and Dickensian Carolers. What’s not to love?

For myself, I fall somewhere between the extremes. I separate the world’s manifestation and understanding of the season from the Church’s experience and expression of the holiday. In the tradition to which I belong, this is the season of Advent. It’s a season of waiting, patiently preparing heart, mind, and body to receive the One who comes in grace. When Christmas comes, it isn’t as a jolly old elf distributing goodies from his bounty (or charcoal, as the case may be), but a tiny child – who comes empty and totally dependent on the grace of others to survive.

“… no crying he makes”? What a pile of reindeer foo-foo! God did not send a baby mannequin, but a real honest-to-goodness infant who cried when hungry, dirty, or wet, jumped when startled by loud noises, who bled when cut, who needed the warm embrace of mother and father when cold. It is this very real human being I have come to love, embrace, hold fast, and share.

I do my civic duty, of course. I’ve hung my lights. Barb and I put up our tree the other day (earlier than usual) in order to snap some holiday photos with our friends. We will make the rounds to oo, ah, and critique neighborhood decorations. I’ve been humming (for weeks) seasonal favorites (both religious and secular) as I’ve trundled through the shops or driven down the road.

But now there’s more: when I hear an infant scream, I can smile – not because I’m some malicious sadist, but because “the one who sows with tears will (come to) reap with songs of joy.” I think that’s what we’re aiming for in this, our holiday valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment