Friday, May 16, 2014

Catching Flies in the Valley

“True contemplation is not a psychological trick but a theological grace.” Thomas Merton

Well, it was bound to happen. The first house fly of the season has made it into our house. Drat!

It’s a quick little thing, too. Flies in the fall are usually pretty slow and easy to track down and exterminate – but the spring flies are quicker than all get-out. I think I did a double marathon yesterday during my fly-hunt. Sadly, I was not successful. By evening I was left in a heap while it was buzzing the “Wild Blue Yonder” song, or some buggy variation of that tune.

Fortunately, as I was shutting off lights for the night I discovered it was in our bonus room, which is windowless and with a single way in or out. Ah ha! I had him right where I wanted him (or her), so I stepped into the room, shut the door, and – voila – it was mano-a-buggo.

There was a problem, however: I was unarmed. My trusty fly swatter was downstairs, so I was left to do battle with brute force and cunning on my side, and with speed, agility, and the intelligence of a gnat on the other side. The war was on!

An hour later I declared a truce and departed the room with the fly trapped inside. If only I had used my mental powers earlier, I could have left the fly in a room bereft of food or water and gone to bed smiling. Uff da!

This pre-season battle of the wits betwixt man and beast reminded me of my childhood.

Growing up, flies were a much more common pest in our home. Our doors and windows had screens in them, but only in the technical sense that the things nailed into place over our windows had once had a metal mesh fabric. Most had holes large enough to drive a Panzer through, so when we opened windows to let air into the house in the spring, a flotilla of flies, gnats, bees, wasps, spiders, mice, cats, and elephants would come on in and set up house. It was kind of embarrassing, but that was life in simpler days when “Open Concept” did not mean a home without walls – but screens with humongous gaps.

There was a benefit to having such an open and welcoming home-life, of course. My siblings and I couldn’t get into too much trouble as we spent our summers chasing down flies with a vengeance. It also helped us develop problem-solving skills and drove the engines of youthfully creative ingenuity.

Flies were fast back in the day, but so was I. I have slowed down a bit of late, but back then I could snatch flies out of the air with chop sticks. Mr. Miyagi had nothing on me! But I didn’t want to limit myself to catch and release, as much fun as that was. I had a cruel, homicidal side to my soul back then. I bored quickly of snatch and squeeze fly-a-cide. For a change of pace, I would track down flies in the house and shoot them with rubber bands. I discovered I had a knack for hitting them – on the wing as well as when standing still.

My brother and I didn’t just use any limp laggy bands in our anti-Muscoidea missions. We used those heavy, thick rubber bands like one uses to secure heavy parcels. We got tired of shooting one fly at a time and knew we needed to up the ante, so I invented my first weapon of mass destruction. I took a board, nailed a stiff clothespin to it, cut an inner tube into strips – manufacturing ammunition that would take out a flock of flies in one fell swoop – and it worked!

After a couple of rounds up against my Rubber Ranger Bazooka launcher, the flies made their exodus to greener, less deadly pastures. The war was over, and we celebrated VF day with Kool-Aid and cookies. Victory had never felt so good.

Over the years, my thirst for fly-blood has subsided; I am a man of peace now – by which I mean I am simply out of rubber bands and clothes pins in this, our valley. I think I’ll fly over to True Value on a wing and a prayer and try to rectify that problem today.

No comments:

Post a Comment