Saturday, May 11, 2019

Finding Resurrection in Remote Places


And after all, everyone needs a few flaws to make them real. Helen Simonson, Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand

I walked into one of those big box electronic stores and looked as lost as I could. I’ve found over the years that when a customer looks lost, there is a great parting of the employee seas like unto the days of Moses. One group flees the floor like blood-sucking parasites from Fido’s flea collar. The others draw near in hopes of being of service.

It occurs to me I have gotten to the age where technology gurus know two things for sure. First, I know nothing. You can explain a product or a process as if to a kindergartner, and the child will know what they’re saying light years ahead of me. Secondly, they know (or at least suspect) that I am at the age where if I’m not living out of my car, I likely have disposable income, and there is nothing sweeter than the tingle-bleeps of the cash register.

They hope, of course, that I’m there to buy a 65 inch monitor (back in the day, they were called televisions, but now they’re monitors, video displays, or anything else that hides what all they can do). Why such a big TV? Well, I’m old, and my vision isn’t what it used to be, and so it would be helpful to take something home that will allow me to see what on earth I’ve been paying my entertainment provider to send me.

Sadly, I wasn’t there to lay out any Benjamins for anything that would challenge the nation’s power grid (or help my vision). I walked in with a twenty year old remote control for my father’s twenty year old sound system. He and I had put in fresh batteries, but the old remote was deader than dead, so I took on the challenge of finding something to replace it for him.

My great fear was that years and obsolescence would have made finding an appropriate replacement controller highly unlikely. After all, the remote’s serial number was in Roman Numerals … carved … in stone. Never-the-less, like any politician worth their salt, I persisted. I strode up to the store’s greeter and asked where I could find remote controls. He looked at the paper weight in my hand, stifled the guffaw that was building steam deep in his belly, and pointed me toward the back of the store where the Video Components were lying in wait.

I nodded my appreciation, toddled off, and found a dizzying array of remotes from which to choose. Lacking a mentor, I was tormented with confusion and indecision. Fortunately, Sales Associate Libby was nearby, saw the tell-tale twitches of a sensory overload, and came to my rescue. I showed her the dearly departed device I needed replaced and confided it was not a product of the current millennium. She offered her condolences and pulled a remote off the kiosk in front of me and suggested it might well do the job. She admitted that not all remotes are as universal as they claim to be, but she assured me I could bring it back if it didn’t work as promised. She also pointed out the list of brands the remote worked with and, lo, the coal-fired amp in question was on the list!

I asked Libby about the other, more expensive devices and asked what they offered that the one she handed me didn’t. She shrugged her shoulders and said, “Nothing.”

Imagine that; a sales associate who let me buy the least expensive item that would do the job! Will wonders ever cease?

I sometimes find myself discouraged with the state of the world. I’m sure I watch far too much news; it has a toxic effect, making me cranky and pessimistic, and that’s not good. That’s why I appreciate (and need) to get out and do things for others. For one thing, it gets me out of my head. For another, it connects me with others who actually have a desire to be helpful – who are genuinely friendly and honest.

There is something detoxifying with such encounters, and I think that gives me some insight into the mystery of the resurrection. It makes life just a little nicer and less remote in this, our valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment