Monday, February 1, 2016

The Reluctant Prophet

Now the Word of the Lord came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to all the nations.” Then I said, “Ah Lord, Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.”

How many of you came to church today to get your assignments for the week?

When I was a police Officer, we had a bulletin board in the Squad Room where you would come in on your Monday, and you would check out your assignment for the week: What district, what car, which partner. You’d check out the hot sheet for stolen cars, run-away children, crime alerts. Then you would suit up and get ready for your shift with roll-call and your last-minute briefing before heading out onto the streets.

In police work, we call that our routine.
In church, we call it “Liturgy.”
                It’s what we do to get ready for the week ahead.

How many of you came to church today to get your assignments for the week?

The Word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: I’ve got an assignment for you.

And like many of God’s people throughout the ages, Jeremiah said, “I can’t; You’ve got the wrong guy; You’ve made a terrible mistake.”

We always have reasons why God can’t use us.
                Jeremiah: I don’t know what to say; I don’t know how to speak; I’m only a young child.
                God says, “Jerry, you’ve got a mouth. You know how to talk. I didn’t ask you to be eloquent. I just asked you to tell others about love: Love of God, love of truth, love of peace, love of kindness, love of gentleness, love of building up that which is good, love of tossing out that which is harmful, destructive, or toxic. Surely you can do that!”

Is there anyone here who can’t do that? Is it a matter of can’t – or “won’t”?
We always have excuses.
                Moses: I can’t do that. I stutter.
                Isaiah: I’ve got a potty mouth.
                Gideon: I am too weak and insignificant.
                Sampson: I'm an airhead (still knew how to bring down the house)
                Abe & Sarah: We're too Old.
                Amos: I’m just a shepherd and fig-nipper!

God says: Don’t make excuses. Just do your work.

So, what does that look like?

First: Know your own story.
                God says, “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.”

Many of us operate out of a sense of false humility. 

                “I am nothing. I am broken. God can’t use me.”
False humility says: God, YOU made a mistake.
                God says, “I formed you; I set you apart; I appointed you.”

If that is true (and God does NOT lie), then we need to look at our lives and see how God has used us. Have you made someone feel good when they were down? Have you pushed a car out of a ditch, or wiped a fevered brow? Have you stood up to a bully, or taught your children to say Please and Thank you? Maybe you haven’t stopped a tsunami in its path, but you’ve helped mop up a flooded kitchen, or swept a carpet that needed it.

In short, you see something that needs doing, and you do it; that’s you taking care of your assignment. That’s you saying “Yes” to God.

Second Point: Know your God.
                God says, “Here, I’ve touched your mouth. My words are there.”

What words? Quote scripture? Maybe, but more likely:
                Wouldn’t it be neat if … (Share hopes and Dreams)
                May I help you? (Gifts of Service)
                When I was in the valley of the shadow, here’s where I found God,

And here is where I found hope when I was hopeless, and help when helpless. How many of you came to church today to get your assignments for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment