Friday, November 25, 2011

KEEP IT REAL

How grateful I am … for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. Philippians 4

Last night I was awakened time and again by a buzzing beside my bed. It was my cell phone. Usually it goes into silent mode when plugged in to recharge at night, but last night it informed me of every email I was receiving throughout the night – invitations to save bundles of cash on Black Friday.

Ugh!

It’s not that I don’t like to save money, but I have learned that one saves a lot more money when one doesn’t buy anything at all; no advertised special can beat that.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m all in favor of businesses flourishing, for the beeps and jingles of cash registers improve the likelihood businesses will be hiring people. That’s a good thing – a very good thing, indeed – yet it bothers me that the very survival of so many merchants comes down to this “make it or break it” time of year.

Ironically, it’s not good for business when people are “satisfied.” It’s a general sense of dissatisfaction that motivates us to seek more, bigger, better, faster goodies. That is one of the factors that get people into the stores to pick up the latest and greatest whiz-bangs that roll off the factory floors.

Before we start to make our way through the looking glass and on down the deep, dark rabbit hole known as Christmas, I would like to suggest we pause for a moment and consider our options more carefully.

First, we ought to recognize that not all is right with the world. Many people are in trouble, sorrow, sickness, and facing a wild variety of adversities; so let’s at least acknowledge that the jingle jangle of seasonal cheer may be more nerve-wracking than blessing for many; so let’s Keep it Real.

What I mean by “keeping it real” is simply being aware that this season will mean different things to many of the people we meet, so we may want to devote more time to listening than to well-intended (but possibly inappropriate) well-wishing.

When greeting folks on the streets, at the malls, or in their homes, be attentive to what they say and how they say it. People will often “mirror” the attitude of those they’re with initially, but then slip back into their actual mood; so pay attention.

The second thing I mean by “keeping it real” is recognizing that spending money is not proof of love. We are often tempted to keep up appearances by matching our spending patterns with the rest of the world, but money and love are NOT the same thing. We know it, but we sure don’t act like it at times.

When I see the commercials with bow-topped luxury automobiles, or diamond rings large enough to derail a freight train, there is a side of me that believes (for just a moment) that if I REALLY loved my wife, she would find one or both of those in the driveway (or under the tree) this Christmas morning, but I don’t think she would approve the debt load that would put us under.

Keeping things real means shifting one’s focus from ways to spend money to finding ways to exhibit love that are genuine, heartfelt, and timely.

If we struggle to figure out what to give someone this year, maybe we are asking the wrong question. We don’t need window shopping, internet browsing, or advertisements to inspire us. We need to take in a breath of fresh air and ask one question: What can I give of myself to this person (or these people) that will persuade them that THEY matter?

Can you provide kind words as needed – year ‘round? Can you visit or call them from time to time – year ‘round? Can you have them over for a meal, fellowship, and pleasant fun – from time to time year ‘round?

If that sounds like too much work, that’s sad, for love is work – the only work truly worth doing.

Love isn’t defined by or limited to a day or a season; it is a changed life which reflects God’s inner-presence year ‘round. We are the presents God has provided to put around trees and tables this year; and that’s the buzz in this, our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment